I. Firewall Access
- Request EPMPROD/QNYEPM03/EPMNY01P/EPMTEST firewall access by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Include the IP address of your work PC.
- Make sure that all entries are up to date in the tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files.
- The files should reside in the Oracle folder:
- Test the connections using telnet:
- Type "cmd" in the Start window and hit Enter;
- Type the following commands at the cmd line. Each command should be typed individually:
If you encounter connection problems, follow the instruction in the PDF document attached below:
II. Update TNS Entries
- Click on your Start menu icon.
- Type "cmd" and [Enter]
- A command window will open. Type "tnsping" and the name of the database you want to test your connection to. The name should match the entry in your tnsnames.ora file entry (eg. "tnsping epmny01p").
- Wait a few seconds for a response. If successful, you will get a text message "....Attempting to contact..." that will end with "OK". See example below.
Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
|Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION= (ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL=TCP) (HOST=webprod-scan.|
|cfs.its.nyu.edu) (PORT=1531)) (CONNECT_DATA= (SERVER=dedicated) (SERVICE_NAME=we|
|OK (30 msec)|
III. Updating your Queries
Note on joining a Interactive Reporting (Brio) query to UDW+ for the first time
- Select DataModel ->Synch with Database.
- This will let you know of any columns or any tables in which the names might have changed so that you can update your query accordingly and decide if you want to synch or wait.
Regardless of the tool that you are using today to create your Student Records queries, the following considerations must be taken into account:
UDW+ version of Student Records EPM contains the following enhancements:
- Use D_Person or D_Student to replace NYU_D_Person
- has everything as D_person
- D_Student joins to the Student _SId
- In general, if your existing queries leverage NYU_D_Person, you should swith to D_Student
- is a conformed dimension that is used throughout the warehouse
- D_Person joins on a Fact to the Person_SID
- In general, use of D_Person is specific to joining Person information across Student, HR and UDM data marts
- Reporting Department - use this to group schools and departments consistently accross different areas. This is centrally updated by NYU Office of Institutuional Research.
- HR Instructor Data - Instructor Dimension has been enriched with data Job data elements from the HR data mart
- Full CPP Stack (Grain change on all Subject Areas due to multiple Plans/Subplans) - Queries will now need to be filtered on Primary Plan = Y if you wish to limit to only the primary plan for each student.
- All Class Instructors (Grain Change on Class Enrollment) - The instructor dimension contains all intstructors for a given course; limit to Primary Instructor Flag = Y to refine your result set to 1 record per class.
- Test Score Data is now available
Key Point: All tables that exist in EPM Prod also exist in UDW+