NYU Scholars Dashboard
When you log into NYU Scholars use the Dashboard tab located at the top left to see summary data. The other tabs are described below.
Use note: If the dashboard page opens blank use the dropdown arrow next to "My Dashboard" to select one of the "Fixed Dashboards."
Content: The publication dashboard contains trend data showing the number of publications for tenure-track faculty (and select clinical faculty) in select participating department(s) / school(s) per year(s); and, for publications in the Scopus database, the number of citations identified in Scopus. A summary page and person detail are provided with drill to detail on individual publications.
Publication and citation data are provided from NYU Scholars, an online tool that organizes publications for NYU faculty members. Implementation began in 2015-16 for tenured/tenure-track faculty in selected STEM fields; in AY2017 - 2018, the project is expanding to include additional select departments / schools. Click here to see the department list. This group may be expanded in the future.
The dashboard displays the publications of all tenured/tenure-track faculty in the selected departments, including those who have subsequently left NYU. Faculty can opt out from inclusion on the public NYU Scholars portal, but not from the dashboard. The profiled population will be updated periodically.
Publication detail for individual faculty is also available on the NYU Scholars Public Portal.
Publications: NYU Scholars automatically captures publication information from the Scopus database while allowing faculty and their proxies to correct and augment those data. Project staff assemble initial publication lists for included faculty to replicate CVs. Initial lists are continuously updated by automatic additions from Scopus, and also faculty and proxy editing.
Data note: CVs were not submitted for a few faculty in the profiled departments. Only the publications imported from Scopus are included for those faculty until they augment the import.
Citations: NYU Scholars reports citation counts for publications found in Scopus from the Scopus database, which may differ from those found in other sources such as discipline-specific repositories. These counts are often lower than Google Scholar citations because the Scopus database is curated and Google Scholar has more generous inclusion criteria. Citation counts for manually entered publications are not included.
Comparability: NYU Scholars does not impose standards for adding publications to Scopus data and how the data-entry templates are used. Those decisions are left to individual faculty unless a school or department establishes guidelines. Any use of the data for comparative analysis should include a careful review of its content.
Update frequency: Scopus publication and citation data are automatically update on a weekly basis. Faculty and their proxies may add publications manually at any time.
Trend data: Annual counts show the activity of the current faculty over time. For example a publication count of 100 in 2010 indicates that the current faculty published 100 items in 2010
Exporting and printing dashboard pages: Export and print options are not available for the NYU Scholars dashboard pages. Contact NYUScholars@nyu.edu for reporting options.
Navigating NYU Scholars
Dashboard users see three or four tabs in NYU Scholars:
1) Editor tab
- Editorial overview lists the publications the user can edit. For included faculty this is his/her own publications. For other users this section is blank.
- Research output lists the publications on which the user can report (reportable) and also edit (editable). These are all the publications in the unit(s) to which a user has access.
2) Master data tab
- This page provides information on the persons and units to which the user has access for reporting and editing.
3) Personal tab
- Faculty included in NYU Scholars have a Personal tab. Other users do not have this tab unless they have been set up as a "trusted user"/proxy for a profiled faculty member.
4) Dashboard tab
The NYU Scholars dashboard includes two principal pages
- Aggregate Publications/Citations Trend
- Person Detail
The system also provides several “Fixed Collaboration Dashboards.” For example the Person – Person dashboard shows collaborations among faculty included in NYU Scholars. Drill on the counts to see publication detail.
Navigation: Navigate to dashboard pages using the arrow at the top left of the dashboard page. All numbers shown in blue provide drill to detail.
Filters: Filters at the top of each page permit selection of a research unit or units and time period. Each user’s view is determined by departmental security. Calendar year date ranges are most appropriate since many publications are only identified by year.
Aggregate Publications/Citations Trend Page
This page shows
- Publications per year for the period selected
- Scopus citations generated per year by publications imported from Scopus
- Research output types
- Most frequent journals
Click on the counts of research output type or most frequent journals to see publication detail.
Person Detail Page
This page includes:
- Publication Count within Organizational Unit (graph) showing publication counts for the faculty with the highest number in the unit(s) and date range selected.
- Scopus Citation Count within Organizational Unit (graph) showing Scopus citation counts for the faculty with the highest number in the unit(s) and date range selected.
- Publications and Scopus Citations per Person (table) listing total publication and Scopus citations for all faculty in the unit(s) regardless of organizational association.
- Publication Count within Organizational Unit (table) providing drill to publication detail.
- Scopus Citation Count within Organizational Unit (table) listing citations for faculty members' publications associated with unit(s) selected.
Drilling on the publication count takes you to a list of publications. Detail including the publication’s citation count is provided. Sort and print options are available.
Data note: For faculty with joint appointments the per person publication count (Publications and Scopus Citations per Person table) may differ from the counts within organizational unit (in the graphs and other tables) because not all a researcher's publications are associated with the organizational unit(s) selected. Data errors can also produce these discrepancies. Contact NYUScholars@nyu.edu for more information.