Description of the Roman road network in the department of the Dordogne.
1.Trassagnac. 1936. Le Réseau d’Agrippa dans le Département de la Dordogne (Suite). Bulletin de la Société Historique et Archéologique du Périgord, LXIII, 245–252.
The road passing through Auriac-du-Périgord comes from Beaupuy, across the Laurence river, and follows the road from Thenon to Montignac. 1600m after it leaves Auriac, it leaves the route to Montiganc and rises up to Vialot.
The road here passes to the south of the Forêt Barade. Mentions that there was a tower that had been destroyed for at least 60 years. About a kilometer north of Bars, the road come to the crossroads called l’Enseigne. From here it heads towards the village of la Trémouille and then heads towards the village of Beaupuy.
Discusses the village of Vialot just east of Auriac-du-Périgord. Mentions that two important roads cross here. In the village human bones were uncovered during the construction of the house of M. Larrebière and suggest that this was once a cemetery.
The road passing through Aubas comes from Condat via Terrasson. At Condat, there are two branches one of which goes to Aubas, passing over the river either by a ford or by raft and arrives at the Port-d’Aubas before heading towards the gallo-roman site of les Olivoux.
In Auriac-du-Périgord, near the intersection of the road from Clermont with the road from Limoges to Cahors exist two towers. One is in the village of Jailler, and looked over the road from Limoges to Cahors. The other is is Deffeix and overlooked the road from Bordeaux. In addition the second could visually communicate with the tower at Jarripigier (today destroyed) and the bell tower at Auriac. Provides a brief description of the towers and suggests that though some have suggested they date to the Lower Empire, their relation to the bell tower in Auriac suggests they date to the 11th or 12th century. However, there was a similar system in place during the Roman period, 4th c AD.
The road of Agrippa passes through the crossrads of l’Enseigne and breaks from the road to Périgueux here. From here it contunes on and passes 4 km north of Rouffignac.
The road from Clermont to Boredeaux passes through the hamlet of la Gélie. Additionally, there is a possible Roman road from Périgueux that passes through la Veyssière and Mortemart. This road may be the road from Cahors.
Road described here follows the rote from Auriac to Montignac for 1500 m and then rises up to Vialot. Five hundred meters north of Vialot several small excavations have uncovered the presence of a wall 60 cm thick. The gorund here has a rectangular appearance and on the surface fragments of bricks, tiles, and pottery have been found that date to the 3rd c. AD. Some locals suggest this was an old ville called Gabillou. However it is possible that the area is a mansio, a station along the route since it overlooks an crossroads. Suggests that Auriac may have bene constructed after the destruction of Vialot, where an old religious institution was already established.
5b. La Chapelle-Aubareil
As the road comes from Sarlat, it passes through several small hamlets on its way to Montignac. In La Chapelle-Aubareil, the road passes through the small hamlet of Mazoux, near the northern edge of the commune.
6. Trassagnac. 1937. Le Réseau d’Agrippa dans le Département de la Dordogne. Bulletin de la Société Historique et Archéologique du Périgord, LXIV, 330–348.
Within the archives of Pau exists a document that recounts the story of the Saracen army’s stay in Bars. After the battle of Poitiers in 732, the army of 3000 returned via the road and stayed in Bars. While there they also pillaged the church. Local legend says that the Saracen army buried their treasure north of Bars, near the Roman road.