Confluence allows you to export a part of, or the entire contents of, a space into a zipped archive of XML files.
This is useful if you want to make a backup of the space, export the space to another Confluence instance, or use the data from the space in another application. Please note that there are a few restrictions when Restoring a Space, and that huge spaces exported for backup-purposes may benefit from other means of backup. See Production Backup Strategy.
To export to XML, you will need 'Export Space' permission which is assigned by a space administrator. See Space Permissions or contact a space administrator for more information.
Site administrators can import a space from a zipped XML archive.
To export to XML:
- Click 'XML Export' in the left-hand panel.
This option will only be visible if you have 'Export Space' permission.
- Select the check box 'Include Comments' if you want to include comments made on the pages you are exporting.
- Select the check box 'Backup Attachments' if you want include the images and other files attached to the pages.
- Select the pages you want to export. Select the relevant check boxes in the tree view of pages displayed. By default, all the pages are selected. You have the option to 'Select All' or 'Deselect All' pages. If you select the check box of a page that contains one or more child or descendant pages, all of these child and descendant pages will also be selected. Similarly, if you clear the check box of such a page, all of its child and descendant pages will also be cleared. This provides a convenient method of exporting subtrees, for example, chapters or sections within a document.
- Click 'Export'. This will create a zipped archive of XML files.
Screenshot above: Exporting a space with administrator permissions
- If you are running Confluence behind Apache HTTP Server and are facing timeout errors, please consider creating the export directly from Tomcat, instead of going through Apache. This will speed up the process and prevent timeouts.
- If you have Space Administrator or Confluence Administrator permissions, you can export either 'All' pages or those pages 'Visible to you'. 'All' exports all content in the space, including pages that are protected by page-level restrictions which will prevent you from viewing the pages themselves. This option is available only to space administrators and Confluence administrators. It allows you to make a complete and comprehensive export of a space for backup purposes. 'Visible to you' exports only content you can see. This is the default option.
Browsing a Space
Restoring a Space
Exporting Confluence Pages and Spaces to PDF
Exporting Confluence Pages and Spaces to XML
Take me back to the Wikis Help Guide.